Tuesday 15 October 2013

Melted plastic for sculpting

I had sold off a collection of about 18 WWII personalities, some of which I had made myself. This was a figure of Marshal Graziani, taken from a Blandford book. He was never completed to be sold off. All parts were Tamiya, liberally coated with the melted plastic and when it had hardened, I tried to carve the clothing. Obviously a failed attempt, you can see the airholes where I had carved away the upper layers. The boots were salvaged for another figure. The sun helmet looked salvageable, too.




Another figure was this proposed figure of Mary, wrapped in clothing. I dribbled melted plastic all over a Preiser head and one hand. When fairly dry, it was possible to pinch and shape the melted plastic but the shapes tended to round off. 

Both for safety and suitability for modelling work, I won't recommend this as a modelling material due to the awful smell from the plastic cement.


No comments:

Post a Comment