Sunday 25 May 2014

Removing paint from my older figures

With trepidation, I tried brake fluid on some of my metal figures as well as Dettol, diluted on a 1:1 ratio, all figures soaked overnight. I also placed a couple of plastic figures into the Dettol solution.

The Dettol solution is the more effective of the two. The paint coming off with a brush. I finish off with a gentle wipe with thinner. The plastic figures do not fare that well. There is some damage to the surface.

The drum major was a Tradition casting, assembled and primed when bought. I painted it many years ago. The Russian medieval knight was an obscure casting (Joy's Toys which used to advertise in Campaign magazine, I believe). Not the best of castings.

 The Roustam figure was an uncompleted Historex kit and the drummer was a modification from a Tradition kit.

 After overnight soaking in Dettol solution. The large green cuffs were made from Duro, now left soggy and will be removed.

This view shows how these figures look flattened from the side.


These two pics show the back as I propose to bulk up these figures as a sculpting exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment